Monday, September 12, 2011

Guest Blogger - Talli Roland


Talli is one of my RNA writing friends and I'm thrilled to welcome her to my blog to talk about her new book and to tell us why she doesn't write about writing.
Over to Talli:
WHY I DON'T WRITE ABOUT WRITING

Well, writing techniques, anyway.

I do write quite a bit about the actual quirks of writing -- writer's arse, habits and such -- but I've never been comfortable advising others on writing techniques. I have no problem talking about my own if someone asks, but I really believe that every writer is different and you need to find what works for you. Plus, there are a zillion writers out there way more qualified to discuss techniques than me (than I? See?!)!

When I first started writing, all the books and blogs I read boggled my mind. Write every day. Don't write every day. Write what you love. Write for the market. And on and on, until I had no idea where to even start. Should I sit in the chair? Or should I stand? Should I turn on the radio, or write in silence?

The one thing I did learn was this: read all the books, but don't live by any of them. Do what you enjoy; what really makes you embrace the process of writing. I truly believe if you do that, everything will fall into place.

You'll find your rhythm.



Talli Roland has three loves in her life: chick lit, coffee and wine. Born and raised in Canada, Talli now lives in London, where she savours the great cultural life (coffee and wine). Despite training as a journalist, Talli soon found she preferred making up her own stories – complete with happy endings. Her first novel, The Hating Game, was an Amazon UK best-seller, remaining in the top 100 for over two months. Watching Willow Watts, her next novel, is available on Kindle now. Talli blogs HERE and tweets HERE.


And Watching Willow Watts, her latest book - here's what it's all about!
For Willow Watts, life has settled into a predictably dull routine: days behind the counter at her father's antique shop and nights watching TV, as the pension-aged residents of Britain's Ugliest Village bed down for yet another early night. But everything changes when a YouTube video of Willow's epically embarrassing Marilyn Monroe impersonation gets millions of hits after a viewer spots Marilyn's ghostly image in a frame.

Instantly, Willow's town is overrun with fans flocking to see the 'new Marilyn'. Egged on by the villagers -- whose shops and businesses are cashing in -- Willow embraces her new identity, dying her hair platinum and ramming herself full of cakes to achieve Marilyn's legendary curves.

But when a former flame returns seeking the old Willow, Willow must decide: can she risk her stardom and her village's newfound fortune on love, or is being Marilyn her ticket to happiness?
Available Here and all good e tailers.

9 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Thanks so much for hosting me, Nell! :)

Unknown said...

"Do what you enjoy". Agreed. If you try to force yourself into someone you're not, you'll never get there.

Can't wait to read WWW, Talli!

Talli Roland said...

Thanks, Shirley! :)

Southpaw said...

Nail on the head! Yeah, there is so much out there - which is good but mind boggling too.

Talli Roland said...

Hi Holly! It's the mind boggling bit I had difficulty with. I read so much I was overwhelmed.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Talli, I think that is an excellent writing tip!

Talli Roland said...

Thank you, Alex!

Sarah Tokeley said...

Advice is like toilet roll. Take what you need, leave the rest, and be grateful it's there when you need it :-)

Laura said...

You're right - there's a lot out there.... great procrastination material though :)