Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Dangerous to Know

Jerome is a real bad lad and is the elder bother of Nate and Nathalie from Be My Hero and The Cinderella Substitute. Here's an unedited snippet of the story so far and you can judge for yourselves what he's like!
Remember at this part of the story they're camping in the lake district for a wildlife photography shoot.

A stiff breeze blew across the clearing, making the canvas of the tents flap against the poles.
“We should move inside.” A raindrop splashed down on to the ground as he spoke.
Gemma picked up the biscuits and her mug.
“Come inside my tent.”
She paused and raised an eyebrow. “That’s not much of a line.”
“I’ve a pack of cards. They’ll while away the time.” He ducked inside his tent and scooted towards the back to make room for her.
She’d just joined him when the clouds burst and the rain began to beat down in torrents on to the canvas.
“I think ‘I’ve got a pack of cards’ is on a par with ‘come up and see my etchings’.”
The soft, spicy aroma of her perfume tantalised him as she eased closer in the confined space.
“You think I’m losing my touch?” He watched the fine pulse in her neck flutter.
“Any touching and I’m going in my own tent.” Her words were brave but her voice sounded breathy. Jerome allowed himself to imagine touching Gemma, of snuggling down with her on the puffy softness of his sleeping bag.
“I’ll get the cards.” He shuffled around to get them, glad of the excuse to avoid her gaze for a moment. He suspected she might well have guessed what he had been thinking if she’d looked him in the eyes right then.
(c) Nell Dixon 2006

2 comments:

Jessica Raymond said...

Mmm, Jerome... ;)

Anonymous said...

lol, love it :o)